How To Check Your Hiv Status At-Home – HIV Home Testing – HIV self-testing
UNAIDS set ambitious new care goals in 2014, reporting that by 2020, 90% of people living with HIV will know their status, 90% of people diagnosed with HIV will be on long-term antiretroviral therapy, and 90% of people diagnosed with HIV will be on long-term antiretroviral therapy.
UNAIDS set ambitious new treatment goals in 2014, stating that by 2020, 90% of all HIV-positive people will know their status, 90% of people diagnosed with HIV will receive continuous antiretroviral therapy, and 90% of people on antiretroviral therapy will have durable suppression.
Many HIVST assessment trials are currently underway, and evidence suggests that HIVST could play a key role in HIV research adoption by overcoming key obstacles to achieving the 90-90-90 targets.
What is HIVST, and how does it work?
HIVST is a procedure in which a person collects a specimen (oral fluid or blood), conducts a test, and interprets the results, usually in a private environment, alone or with someone they trust.
HIVST, like all other approaches to HTS, should be optional rather than coercive or obligatory. Efforts to avoid, track, and further reduce related risks are critical, despite the rarity of recorded misuse and social damage.
Starting at the beginning of the validated national testing algorithm, a reactive (HIV-positive) HIVST result often necessitates additional testing and confirmation by a qualified tester.
To ensure that HIVST users understand how to conduct the test, the meaning of the test results, and when and how to receive follow-up services after a test, such as retesting, care, and treatment for people who test HIV-positive, consistent communications are needed.
HIV self-testing as a Partner Notification Service technique or periodic retesting in established discordant couples are options for PLHIV partners.
Self-testing HIV rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) can be as effective as testing by a qualified tester if the HIVST products meet consistency, safety, and performance requirements.
HIVST performance can be improved by in-person presentations and other support resources, such as videos.
HIV self-testing is available in the public and private sectors across various methods, including community-based, facility-based, and internet-based networks.
Benefit of HIVST
- HIVST has proven to be highly acceptable among various groups of users in diverse settings, particularly: key populations, the general population, pregnant women, and their male partners
- HIVST will contribute to the global target 90-90-90 by reaching first-time testers, as well as by creating demand for and enabling more people to receive HIV testing, particularly those with undiagnosed HIV or who are at high ongoing risk and in need of frequent retesting
- Availability to the hard-to-reach clients, reduction in stigmatization, ease of use with minimal waste generation, and can be bought over the counter.
- Promote mutual partner testing and thus avert unprotected sex between discordant partners
- PeopleR17;s knowledge of their own, and their partnerR17;s, HIV status is essential to the success of the global HIV response. The overarching goals of providing HIV testing services (HTS) are to deliver a diagnosis and effectively facilitate access to and uptake of HIV prevention, treatment, and care, including antiretroviral therapy (ART).
HIVST Service Delivery Channels/ Where to get HIVST Kit
- Government Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- Patent Medicine store
- Mobile HTS centers
- Voluntary Counselling and Testing centers
- Community Distributors